Our fun fact is inspired by Purr, a cat up for adoption at Summit County Animal Control. Purr is a sweet, healthy cat that loves attention! During her photo shoot on Tuesday, she started to knead and suckle the blanket. We thought that it was cute, but odd being that she was an adult so we looked up reasons that Purr might be doing this. There’s several possibilities an adult cat may knead and suckle a blanket:
1) They were separated too early from their mother
2) Certain breeds, such as Siamese and other oriental cats, are more likely to do this
3) Simply a method of relaxation
4) If done on clothes, the cat is showing you they trust you
5) They are coping with overwhelming stress
The more we know about cat behavior, the better pet parents we can be!